Follow these simple steps:
1. Go to the income tax website.
|Income tax india e-filing home page.|
2. Register using the above link. The username will always be your PAN number. If it says you have already registered and you haven't done so, then you might have to call the income tax department to get it resolved. This can happen only if you have given the details to another person for filing your income tax return.
3. Once you have registered, download the relevant ITR form. Use this link. Fill the excel file by following the instructions downloaded. This would ask you to enable macros. The instructions will be present as a README file when you download.
4. Validate the sheet and create XML using the macro buttons available in the excel sheet. This will create the xml file in the same location of the excel sheet.
5. Click on the Select Assessment year as shown in the below screen to upload the XML you created.
|File your returns online|
6. If there is no Digital certificate, select No in the above screen and upload the XML file after selecting the corresponding ITR in this screen. If you have a digital certificate, your returns are filed. Otherwise, you have to send to the CPC, Bangalore address mentioned in the screen to complete the filing of returns. You can send the ITR-V generated within 120 days after filing your returns online.
It has become now mandatory for those who earn more than 10 lakhs to file their returns online.